Serotonin is a happy hormone that is a powerful neurotransmitter that is needed for many important functions of the body. Some of you are probably familiar with its role. It helps in regulating your mood, influencing your sleep cycle, changing your appetite, and digestion process.
What are the symptoms of Serotonin deficiency? (Serotonin Deficiency Symptoms)
A decrease in serotonin can cause many mental and physical deficiencies which can be seen through symptoms. Lack of serotonin means that your body does not have adequate serotonin. This could be due to many reasons. Plenty of physical and mental symptoms are linked with serotonin deficiency. let‘s know a little about it:-
- Physical symptoms: serotonin plays an important role in many important body functions. Therefore, due to its deficiency, many symptoms develop in the body like fatigue, constipation, weight gain, digestive problems, loss of appetite, irritable bowel syndrome, eating disorders, and cravings for foods that are high in carbohydrates.
- Mental symptoms: serotonin also plays a key role in a healthy mind. A low level of serotonin causes many mental problems like anxiety, insomnia, irritability, aggression, loss of energy, memory loss, decreased sex drive, depressed mood, suicidal thoughts, persistent mood swings, and decreased self-esteem.
If you experience some of the above-mentioned symptoms, you should see a doctor.
Causes and Risks of Serotonin Deficiency. What Causes Serotonin Deficiency?
The exact cause of a decrease in serotonin hormone is unknown. Some people normally produce serotonin in smaller amounts than others but some produce a higher amount of happy hormone serotonin. Some possible reasons may include:
- Lack of sunlight.
- High cortisol levels.
- Social anxiety disorder.
- Low blood sugar levels.
- Low levels of vitamin B.
- A low level of Vitamin D.
- Low levels of L-tryptophan.
- PTSD – Post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Decreased serotonin receptors.
- Low levels of omega 3 fatty acids.
- Too early absorption of serotonin.
- OCD – Obsessive-compulsive disorder.
- Panic disorder – contingent fear disorder.
- Hormone imbalances, lack, or fluctuations.
- Many life issues and stresses also cause serotonin levels to drop.
- Having serotonin receptors (ion channels found in the nervous system) that are not receiving serotonin effectively.
- Bad diet: Neurotransmitters inside the body are formed from proteins. Some cofactors such as vitamins and minerals are also needed to improve. So eat a well-balanced diet.
- Persistent stress, anxiety, tension, fear, and work pressure can lower serotonin levels. Our fast-paced life is one of the main reasons for this imbalance.
- Toxins such as heavy metals, narcotics, pesticides, and certain types of drugs damage the nerve cells that produce serotonin and other neurotransmitters. Here All Clear Serum helps a lot.
- Genetic factors, digestive problems, and metabolic complications, also weaken the process of absorption and breakdown of food, degrading the capacity to produce serotonin.
- Some types of medicines and things such as caffeine, antidepressants, nicotine, alcohol, and some overhanging remedies also degrade the levels of serotonin and other neurotransmitters.
Disease caused by serotonin deficiency. What diseases can be caused by a deficiency in serotonin?
Some problems and diseases caused by low levels of serotonin are:
Fatigue, lack of energy, feeling tired, weak, or exhausted all day long can also be a result of serotonin deficiency.
Sometimes headaches associated with a decrease in serotonin levels are critical enough but resolve on their own when the person raises his serotonin levels again.
Insomnia: Melatonin is a hormone present in the body that promotes good sleep, and its production is also linked to serotonin. Lowered serotonin levels can also be directed to a reduction in melatonin levels, leading to an inefficiency to sleep.
Weight gain: This is similar to the craving for carbohydrates, which often happens when the serotonin level is low. Consuming high amounts of carbohydrates will definitely increase your weight. Check here a few tips to reduce weight.
Sensitivity to sound: A probable side effect of serotonin scarcity is that people with it become irritated with a high level of noise. Sometimes they get bothered with a slight or even low decibel sound. Sensitivity to sound can induce a feeling of anxiety, stress, tension, tightness on the head, and discomfort.
Suicidal thoughts: Suicidal thoughts can also befall as a consequence of depression usually made by feeble levels of serotonin. This problem is usually more seen in people who are taking antidepressant drugs and suddenly stop taking these medicines. Bravo Serum through VK can help you to cope up with all kinds of fears.
Light sensitivity: This is a state in which a patient feels discomfort, distress, and pain in the eyes or head when looking at a bright light. This level of light sensitivity could show a possibly low level of serotonin.
Diagnosis of serotonin deficiency. How to test for serotonin deficiency?
- Serotonin insufficiency is hard to test for because there is no particular way to check the level of serotonin in the brain and there are no special diagnostic standards for it.
- Even though there is a test that can observe the level of serotonin in the blood. It is only used to check for tumors that produce serotonin. Must note that the level of serotonin in the blood does not significantly explain the level of serotonin in the brain.
- Your brain is cloaked by a layer called the blood-brain barrier (BBB). This layer permits some things to pass through and some not. Serotonin cannot pass through the blood-brain barrier layer. This indicates that the serotonin inside your brain must be created inside the brain itself. Dictating serotonin levels in the urine and blood can give a false level of serotonin in the brain. If you are facing some signs of serotonin deficiency, it is sufficient to observe your symptoms for a few weeks and help your doctor by describing these symptoms to advise the test.
- If your body is lacking in nutrients, then it is not building enough protein, serotonin, vitamins; or if you are not taking minerals, then neurotransmitter asymmetry happens. So, you should really think and check your diet.
How to treat serotonin deficiency? Treatment of serotonin deficiency. Serotonin deficiency prevention. How to prevent serotonin deficiency? How to naturally increase serotonin levels?
There are some proven techniques to boost up serotonin levels in both your brain and body. Some of them are:
- If you are on medicines, consult your doctor to stop unnecessary medicines.
- Regular and adequate exposure to sunlight. Exposure to sunny light or the sun also boosts the level of serotonin in the brain.
- Quit smoking and alcohol (alcohol worsens depression, anxiety, and sleep issues). Ways to get rid of alcohol.
- Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water daily.
- Meditate for 15 minutes daily.
- Avoid sugar, white rice, cookies, and cakes, etc.
- Try to lower, reduce or stop the consumption of tea, coffee, caffeinated substances, and artificial sweeteners as these things decrease serotonin levels.
- Exercise for 30 minutes continuously and do it at least 3 times a week.
- Walk, do yoga, and also do stretching regularly.
- Eat food at least 3 times a day (skipping meals even once can cause high stress and lack of energy).
- Must eat protein-rich foods with each meal.
- Eat mixed carbohydrates like brown rice.
- Eating nutrients rich foods that help the body to produce more serotonin.
- The mood elevator: daily spend some time doing something you genuinely like, in the process of uplifting your mood.
- Mood increasing exercises: numerous studies have shown that physical exercise improves the brain’s serotonin levels by improving both the making and release of serotonin in the brain. Exercises such as aerobic, walking, running, and swimming is considered best.
- Spend some time studying things that make you happy.
- Intestinal bacteria: consume foods high in good gut bacteria like curd and foods that contain curd to keep your gut healthy with the good bacteria. The new findings disclosed that these bacteria play a vital role in serotonin levels in the gut-brain axis.
- Eating pineapple, banana, eggs, nuts, and chocolates can fix low serotonin levels.
- Taking a combination of Mood Up Serum with GOLDEN SUNRISE through VK is also very helpful to elevate your serotonin level.
- Learn: try to learn something new. Knowledge is like an emergency fund. You will feel good when you get a chance to use them.
- Gratitude: practice gratitude for what you have.
Summary: A decrease in serotonin causes many mental and physical symptoms. The exact causes of a decrease in serotonin hormone are unknown. Many of us are facing some problems and diseases caused by low levels of serotonin, even weight gain too. There are some proven techniques to boost up serotonin levels in both your brain and body. Mood Up Serum with VK is also very helpful to elevate your serotonin level.